GUIDELINES (Doctor of Philosophy and Masters by Research)
1. Milestones and Study Plan for Graduate Research Students
2. Courses for Graduate Research Students
- Graduate English (HWG703) & University Teaching for Teaching Assistants (HWG702)
- It is compulsory for all full time PhD students to take up HWG703 Graduate English (unless exempted) in the first semester followed by taking up HWG702 University Teaching for Teaching Assistants upon completion of at least 2 semesters of study.
Exemption Criteria for HWG703
HWG702 Teaching Course
- Epigeum Research Integrity Course
- All student research involving humans as research subjects must be subject to ethics review by either the NTU IRB or the School.
- Before IRB submission is made, you are required to complete the Epigeum Research Integrity Module on NTULearn. It is a self-paced online training module on ethical researching. Please save a copy of your Certificate of Completion for your IRB application after completing the module.
- Please ensure that your supervisor recommends your IRB or Ethics Clearance Application before submission.
- For further enquiries related to IRB application, you may contact WKWSCI-IRB@ntu.edu.sg.
3. Withdrawal/Termination of Candidature
- The school may request for a student’s termination of candidature. The school will inform the relevant student of the reasons and any penalties accordingly.
- Students may request for a withdrawal of candidature by giving one month’s notice. If the student is not a research scholar, research fees would be payable if he/she withdraws 2 weeks or more after the start of the candidature or the start of the semester.
Withdrawal form for Research students
4. Proposed Research Topic, Supervisor and Thesis Advisory Committee (TAC)
5. 10 seminar Requirement
- All students must fulfil 10 seminars per academic year or 5 seminars per semester as part of their scholarship requirement. Failing which, their scholarship stipends will be withheld.
Seminar Attendance form
6. Confirmation or Renewal of Scholarship
- Renewal of Scholarship
- Scholarships for PhD students are renewable yearly (for a duration of 4 years) subject to the student’s satisfactory progress. Please submit your progress report directly to your supervisor(s) and TAC for their review.
- Supervisors will review the progress report and submit your progress report along with the assessment report to the WKW Graduate Studies Office.
- WKW Graduate Studies Office will require the following documents for processing:
- Confirmation of candidature
- PhD students are due for confirmation on the 18th month of candidature while MA students are due on the 12th month of candidature.
- Students are to submit the following to the WKW Graduate Studies Office:
- Soft bound copies of the confirmation report
- TAC Presentation form (applicable for PhD students only)
- Seminar attendance form
- Send softcopy of the confirmation report and abstract to WKWSCI_GradResearch@ntu.edu.sg
TAC Presentation form
Scholarship Renewal or Confirmation form
7. Graduate Assistantship Programme (GAP) and Research Diary
- Full-time scholarship research students who matriculated from August 2014 will be required to perform duties as Research or Teaching Assistants as a form of “In-service obligation”.
- All research students (including full-time and part-time students) are required to submit the Research Students Weekly Diary every semester.
Research Students Weekly Diary
8. Conversion of Programme Status
- This form is to be completed if you wish to change your student status from full-time to part-time or vice versa.
- You are allowed to apply for conversion of student status only once in the entire duration of your programme and reverting of status is not allowed after approval.
- Please provide reason(s) for the conversion in the form and provide supporting documents, where necessary.
- If you are only left with your dissertation, you will not be allowed to convert from full-time to part-time status.
- All requests are subjected to approval and must reach the WKWSCI Graduate Studies Office before the deadline stated in email sent to the students’ NTU email account.
- Late applications will not be considered.
Conversion of Programme Form
9. Graduate Student Leave
- Leave of Absence (LOA)
- Students may request and apply for a LOA via GS Link. The Associate Chair (Academic) approves a LOA for up to one year. If you wish to apply for leave for more than a period of cumulative one year this is subjected to the Assoc Provost’s approval.
- If leave applied for extends beyond the maximum candidature, students must also seek approval for extension of candidature at the same time.
- Medical leave or other leave during scholarship period
- Research students may be granted sick leave on full scholarship stipend. Medical certificates are to be submitted to the School and Supervisors should be informed.
- Female research students may be granted maternity leave on full scholarship stipend for up to 8 weeks per childbirth. Requests for maternity leave are to be supported by medical certification and are to be submitted for the School Chair’s approval.
- Students may apply for annual leave during the semester break upon approval by his/her Supervisor. Students are not allowed to take leave during the semester when they are required to attend classes & conduct research.
10. Overseas Research Attachments
- Research scholars may apply for research leave to undertake research work as required for projects.
- Research leave with a duration of up to 6 months requires approval by the School Chair
- The Assoc Provost’s approval is required for research leave for a duration of more than 6 months.
- If allowances are excessively generous relative to cost of living in the host country/university, the research scholarship will be discontinued during the student’s period of attachment. Otherwise, his/her scholarship will be continued.
Research Leave Application Form
Email template for approval (research attachment)
11. Overseas Conference Support
- Research scholars may be given partial support for attending local/overseas conferences. Support for airfare, subsistence allowance and registration fees given on a lump sum grant will be at the discretion of the School.
Guidelines on Student Travel Support
- Student have to submit their application containing:
- Applications needs to reach the School Chair at least 6 weeks before the commencement of conference, or at least 6 weeks before the date of registration/other fees to be paid (if applicable), whichever is earlier.
- The Office of Finance will then process and inform student of the approval and terms of support accordingly.
12. Research Students’ Grant
Research students who have completed their confirmation may apply for the WKWSCI S$3,000 Competitive Grant to support their data collection and other research-related activities leading to their theses. Every academic year, two grant calls are made (June and December). Therefore, planning accordingly is recommended. This funding is administered by WKWSCI Research Office.
13. Other relevant forms
Research Scholar / Teaching Assistant Graduate Student Data Form