Research, Teaching & Professional Experience
- Graduate student, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
Main research interests are in sentiment analysis, text mining, data mining, natural language processing, and machine learning.
- Teaching assistant, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
Provided direct and indirect teaching support for several undergraduate courses offered by the Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information.
- University tutor, Open University, Malaysia
Offered face-to-face and online learning support to adult learners in an open learning model.
- Software engineer, Refine Solutions Pte Ltd, Singapore
Responsible for the company’s transformation from a traditional software delivery model to a cloud-based Software-as-a-Service model and also in charge of a sectoral ICT project which, together with IDA (Infocomm Development Authority) Singapore and SWAS (Spa & Wellness Association) Singapore, created the company’s main product that provides a subscription-based business management solution for the beauty, spa, and salon industry in multiple countries.
- Tan, S. S., & Na, J. C. (2016). Expanding sentiment lexicon with multi-word terms for domain-specific sentiment analysis. In A. Morishima, A. Rauber, & C. L. Liew (Eds.), Lecture Notes in Computer Science: Vol. 10075. Digital Libraries: Knowledge, Information, and Data in an Open Access Society (pp. 285-296). doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-49304-6_34
- Tan, S. S., & Na, J. C. (2017). Mining semantic patterns for sentiment analysis of product reviews. In J. Kamps, G. Tsakonas, Y. Manolopoulos, L. Iliadis, & I. Karydis (Eds.), Lecture Notes in Computer Science: Vol. 10450. Theory and Practice of Digital Libraries (pp. 382–393). doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-67008-9_30
- Chen, L., Tan, S. S., & Chen, X. Y. (in press). Mining influencer marketing messages: Investigating consumer responses to brand- vs. influencer-generated ads. AAA Conference Proceedings.
Best Paper Award at the 18th International Conference on Asia-Pacific Digital Libraries (ICADL 2016), Japan